Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tests

There are times in every mothers life, when her children will be tested.
Today is one of those days.
According to the Peterborough Victoria Northumberland Clarington Catholic School Board, my son who is Deaf does not deserve to have an ASL interpreter.
So, in order to continue with an interpreter at school, they feel an assessment was in order.
My son, who is 5 years old, is having a full day assessment at this moment. I want so bad to be there, to hold his hand, and help him through all of this. I want to be there to protect his rights as a human being.
What is language?? Is it being able to use your voice? Is it using your hands, or is it your whole body communicating at once?
My son uses proficient SIGN language to communicate on a daily basis. Unless of course you can't sign back to him. Then he uses every single inch of his tiny body to tell you what he wants.
I am hoping today the assessor will see this wonderful gift that my child possesses. He can communicate with Deaf people or hearing people alike, regardless if you know ASL. What more can a mother ask for?
I never knew that a child had to qualify to learn their native language in school, or to have someone there to interpret it for them. Not until we were told otherwise.
What a terrible imposition for my son.
I pray that he passes this test with flying colors...but then again, if the assessor knows their job, there is no reason why he shouldn't.
Every child should be given an opportunity to have a voice without a test to prove they deserve it.

1 comment:

  1. I can believe that the school system is like this. He's deaf, and he's being acknowledge that he has to prove that he is! Can't these people READ medical records! This is ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete